Monday, November 30, 2009

We did it....sigh

I think it's important to chronicle the past year into words. Thinking back to our lives last year on November 30th, we were a family who had a home, good jobs, a great love for each other. We were put to the test over the past year. Our faith was tested, we found who our true friends were, and realized that blood is thicker than water. And now looking forward, we have a home, good jobs, and a great love for each other...we're just in Knoxville instead of Rock Hill.

It all started when Matt accepted a job in Knoxville. Such bittersweet feelings followed me daily. We were going to be "back together" in the sense of words, but that also meant cutting parts of my life away, sacrificing the comfort of my simple life, and going into uncharted territory.

It started with our house. Toys were put away, family pictures put into storage, making our HOME look like a sterile environment so that other families could picture what their lives would be like in OUR home.

Next was my job. I filled out the resignation form as if it were no big deal, but held on to it until the last possible minute. I don't know why. And then I realized it, I would have to start over. Start over...those words hung over my head like thick fog that I didn't want to acknowledge.

It was time to go. July came faster than a Monday after a long weekend. Inside I was torn. I was excited about the change finally, but scared to death. We packed what we would need in our 800 square foot apartment and left the house "picture perfect"....well for someone else. I silently said a prayer in Lily's nursery, lifting everything up to God. Letting Him bear the weight of all of my deep and scary thoughts.

Once we moved to Knoxville, things slowly started to get back to normal. After months of searching, I found a job nearby in a third grade classroom. I started the year rushed, unfamiliar with procedures, TN state standards, and such, but it's working for me now. So many nights I have listened to Lily and Matt play in her room while I listen in from the living room. I thought to myself, "All of this is worth it...to be together, to share our love again, to grow as a family".

Then it happened. We sold our house in SC. Finally...the phone call we were waiting for. Amen, praise was lifted to God thanking Him for all He has done. Realizing, it is not always our plan, and the way we want it, but His plan and the way HE wants it. As we packed everything and moved it out of the house, our home looked like an empty shell, cold and open. Memory Lane was just going to be a memory for us. I felt like we needed to have some sort of ceremony. Our house was part of us...where our story started together. We stood there and talked about our favorite memories and told Lily that it was someone else's turn to live in our house.

Recently we found a new house and I am sure we will create many memories in this house as well. But for now, it's still just a house. When our pictures hang on the walls, Lily's toys are carelessly scattered about, and we are snuggled up on the couch together, then it will be our home! :)

We move in on Friday and we're counting down the days until we move in. We can't wait to start our new story together in Knoxville in our new home.

1 comment:

  1. Being a military family we moved quite a bit. We looked at each of our assignments as a new adventure and a place to hang our hats for a few short years. I discovered that each of our homes(we moved 14 times in 20 years) held a special place in our hearts. Home IS wear you hang your HEART! You will make wonderful, new memories in KnockBill!

    ReplyDelete

Lily- Our first weekend in K-ville

Lily- Our first weekend in K-ville