Sunday, May 22, 2011

The eve of summertime

I can feel it...the excitement I get when I start counting down the last days of school before I break through the finish line and have the entire summer to do whatever I want. Wind in my hair, sunshine on my back, adventures to begin!

I can't wait for my mother to come next week. It will be a week of girl time---all three generations making memories. I remember when my mother took me to visit my Granny. We didn't do anything fancy, but we shared milkshakes, drank lemonade on her front porch, and helped in her garden. We went antiquing, hunted for fossils, and went on nature walks. I loved every minute of it and if I close my eyes and get really quiet, I can almost smell the milkweed pods growing in the corner of her garden. I hope Lily has memories like this of my mother. I love my mother so much sometimes I just ache to see her and hug her. When things aren't going my way or when I am feeling pitiful I wish she was here with me to tell me that it's not a tragedy and that everything will work out. I call her on the phone all of the time, but there are times where I just need her here to hug.

Last night, Lily was trying out her slip and slide. She would wiggle her way down the plastic, stand up, and yell AGAIN!! Fun times until someone gets hurt. Lily scraped her toe and started to cry. As we walked inside the house for a bandaid, Lily started crying harder and looked up at me and said, "I just want my Mimi". Mimi can make anything better in her eyes, and in my eyes too.

This week I will not only be counting down for school to be out, but for my mom's visit! And that's more exciting than 3 months of no school anyday. 10 more days and a wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily- Our first weekend in K-ville

Lily- Our first weekend in K-ville